The result was a win for Cowdenbeath by 41 holes to 18.” (DP 4.7.1891) “The competition for the scratch medal was concluded on Saturday, when there was a fair turnout of members on the course at Leucharsbeath. Murray with a score of 96.” (DP 1.4.1893) “In the cup competition which has been going on for the past month, the four who successfully negotiated the first two rounds were Messrs Lindsay ( Scratch ) Kirk ( 4 ) Yule ( 13 ) and Craig ( 9 ).
The greens are as yet rather rough, and operated against low scoring. In the draw for the semi final Lindsay was opposed to Kirk, and Yule to Dr Craig. Yule ( 13 ) and resulted in an easy win for Mr Yule.
The Huddersfield township workhouse was at Birkby, at the south side of Blacker Lane. The rectangular building, presumably of more than one storey, was surrounded by cultivated grounds to the front and rear. Almondbury's workhouse lay at the west of the township, at the junction of Kaye Lane and Wheatroyd Lane. The Golcar township workhouse was at Pike Law, to the south of Scapegoat Hill. Honley had a workhouse from as early as 1703, thought to be located at Victoria Place in Thirstin.
A separate block to the south-east of the main building contained a washing (i.e. It was replaced in 1763 by a new workhouse erected nearby, on land that had donated by the Earl of Dartmouth. A Lepton workhouse stood to the south-east of Fenay Bridge, on what is now Fenay Bankside, off Station Road. Lindley's workhouse stood to the north of what is now Moor Hill Road. The Linthwaite workhouse was at the south side of what is now Causeway side. Lockwood, one of the largest townships in the Huddersfield area, erected a workhouse in 1761.
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] The first workhouse in Kendal (then known as Kirkby in Kendal, or Kirkby Kendal) is said to have been on the Fell Side. Children teased the wool by hand then the adults wove the yarn on hand-looms.