The new regiment comprised Regimental Headquarters (RHQ) with 273, 274 and 275 HAA Batteries, forming part of 26th (London) Anti-Aircraft Brigade in 1st Anti-Aircraft Division of Anti-Aircraft Command.In June 1939, as the international situation worsened, a partial mobilisation of the TA was begun in a process known as 'couverture', whereby each AA unit did a month's tour of duty in rotation to man selected AA gun and searchlight positions.
On 19 August, 86th (HAC) Rgt took its turn, manning AA gun sites in the London Inner Artillery Zone (IAZ), with 273 Bty at the Burnt Farm and Asylum sites at Finsbury Park, 274 Bty at Hyde Park and Southwark Park, and 275 Bty at Bostall Heath, Brockley and Hayes, Kent.
The regiment was thus fully deployed when AA Command was fully mobilised on 24 August, ahead of the declaration of war on 3 September.
The 86th (Honourable Artillery Company) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery (86th (HAC) HAA Rgt) was an air defence unit of Britain's Territorial Army (TA) that served throughout World War II.
It defended London during The Blitz, landed on Juno Beach on D-Day, and defended the cities of Belgium against V-1 flying bombs.
The Imperial State Crown was slightly rebuilt or altered for King Edward VII as well as for the coronation of King George VI in 1937 and Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. Queen Victoria did not like the Imperial State Crown; she found it too big and too heavy.